Finance Manager (Montreal Based)
We’re Angel Host, a Canadian-based, data-driven and tech-enabled Vacation Rental Maximization service provider that helps Property Managers and Owners worldwide outperform their market. With Angel Host taking care of pricing, reservations, channel marketing and guest services, our clients get to focus on growth while increasing the performance of their property portfolio, as well as benefiting from a reduced workload. Angel Host was founded by highly experienced, award-winning entrepreneurs and hospitality operators, and is supported by some of the most prominent Venture Capital Funds in the world. Our mission is to become a worldwide leader in vacation rental management and we're on the right track, currently working with 800+ properties in the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe.
Does our mission appeal to you? Are you looking to work in a fast-paced, fun, and flexible work environment with unlimited growth, happiness, and learning opportunities? Is taking part in a rapidly growing start-up, full of energetic people from all around the world on your bucket list? If so, keep reading!
The position: Financial Controller
As our Financial Controller, you will be in charge of overseeing the company's entire accounting operations while ensuring compliance with regulations and accuracy of financial information.
This position is right for you if you’re ready to jump into an energetic start-up environment where you’ll have an exciting opportunity to develop and advance your career at an accelerated pace.
Specifically, we need you to:
- Manage and oversee all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Counsel, Cost Accounting, and Revenue Recognition;
- Prepare and publish timely monthly and yearly financial statements;
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings. This includes filing the different obligations on the Clic Secure and CRA sites;
- Maintain yourself up to date with the latest tax laws (support provided by outside firms);
- Supervise and be held accountable for the output of a team of accounting analysts;
- Support month-end and year-end close process;
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting;
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls;
- Organize and record stock option allocations;
- By using our payroll management software, ensure that our payroll is always accurate and make any manual changes or updates in the system as needed;
- Ensure that all employee, contractor and provider payments are done on time and recorded correctly;
- Oversee and perform any other controller and/or accounting analyst duties as necessary. This might include but would not be limited to helping process certain bank transactions on a regular basis.
Is this job for you? Well, it is if:
- You have a post secondary degree in Accounting or Finance;
- You have 3-5 years of Canada-based working experience as an Assistant Controller, Controller or in a relevant position;
- You have Quickbooks Online experience. A “Certified ProAdvisor Online” certification is a plus;
- You are well-versed in Canadian and Quebec accounting compliance regulations;
- You have very strong native English and French writing and speaking skills. Fluency in Spanish is a big plus;
- You are highly proficient with Google Sheets, G-Suite, and Excel;
- You possess exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, have a flair for numbers, are highly organized and attentive to detail
- You possess excellent leadership and interpersonal skills;
- You have strong initiative: you’re not the type of person that waits for someone to tell you what needs to be done. The words “this isn’t my responsibility” aren’t part of your vocabulary;
- You are comfortable and willing to perform tasks and duties that might be “below” your title’s level of responsibility. For example, even though you will be our Financial Controller, you will be asked to help with tasks and duties that might normally belong to an accounting analyst or an assistant controller;
- Being honest, ethical and professional is at the core of your DNA;
- You love to laugh and be part of an awesome team.
So, what’s in it for you?
We believe that to attract the best, we also need to offer the best. And while we love to work, we also love everything else that life has to offer, like spending time with family and friends, traveling, or simply taking time to relax or meditate. That’s why we’ve designed a well-balanced compensation package.
As our Financial Controller, you will receive:
- A competitive base salary based on location and experience, with annual reviews and opportunities for growth;
- Paid time off + all national holidays;
- A hybrid work model, where you'll have the opportunity to work three days a week in our office in Old Montreal and two days a week from the comfort of your own home or from anywhere with reliable wifi and a dedicated workspace;
- Up to 3 days of paid time off to volunteer in the charity of your choice: our plan for giving back to the community;
- Health plan, dental, life, and long-term disability coverage (paid 50% by the company);
- Participation in our very generous Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP), because we believe that good things should be shared.