PurposeMed was founded in 2019 with the mission of improving access to complex care for underserved communities. We’ve grown to over 200 team members, serving hundreds of patients each month, and are continuing to grow rapidly.
PurposeMed consists of three complex care business units; Freddie, Frida, Foria, and partners with Affirming Care Pharmacy. Freddie is focused on improving sexual health through education, prevention and treatment with a focus on the LGBTQ2S+ community—we’re now the largest HIV prevention service in Canada! Our second vertical, Frida, is focused on improving mental health and happiness through education, diagnosis and treatment. Frida is changing the lives of patients with easier access to adult ADHD diagnosis, and fast and affordable treatment. Foria was recently launched in 2023 and is a virtual clinic providing trans, non-binary, and gender-diverse Canadians with gender-affirming healthcare. Affirming Care Pharmacy is a specialty pharmacy with locations in Calgary, Alberta and Mississauga, Ontario. This partnership provides our patients with an end-to-end healthcare experience, from treatment, to prescription delivery, to continuous affirming care.
We are a C100 Fellow, a member of the Lazaridis Institute, and a certified Great Place to Work® (92% of our employees agree)! Our culture is highly mission-driven; our team is passionate about bringing healthcare to those who need it most. Best of all—we have fun doing it.
Location - Remote (Canada)
Permanent, full-time opportunity
Who we hope to find:
PurposeMed is looking for a Director, Engineering to take the PurposeMed software development team into its next phase of growth. You will be building and leading our dev team from its current 8 members through the high-growth stage and beyond. Partnering closely with our senior leaders, you will drive our ambitious goals to completion. Reporting into the VP, Product, this role will work directly with our founders and leaders from all functions across the business to ensure we’re building solutions that solve our patients’ complex healthcare needs in a scalable way.
Though we have an office based in Calgary, this is a remote position that is open to candidates across Canada.
In this role, you’ll make an impact by:
- Working closely with our founders and executives to build a vision and direction for the development team that will craft a world-class telehealth platform, while meeting PurposeMed’s business objectives
- Being the engineering leader that drives conversations about how technology can be leveraged in patient-first ways, bring new product verticals to market, and scale our development team
- Identifying our most critical engineering metrics and enabling the engineering team to meet and exceed their targets
- Leading recruiting efforts to find, interview, hire, and onboard top talent
- Managing the developers on the team through 1-on-1s, supporting their professional development and driving high performance on the team
- Collaborating with your counterparts in our Product, Data and Design org (PDDE) to ensure that the broader technology team is working in alignment with the needs of the business
- Developing and owning a team structure and growth plan to accommodate the needs of a rapidly growing startup
We need someone who has:
- Managed high performing teams in a scale up environment and has recruited, motivated and grown employees and contractors
- Experience working closely with Product and Design leaders to come up with roadmaps with clear outcomes and timelines
- An ability to communicate and sell a technical strategy and roadmaps to a non-technical audience
- Experience with introducing processes to improve planning, estimation and collaboration
- A proven track record in promoting technical excellence through better development processes and hand-on mentorship
- Collaborated with fast-moving teams and has led change management
- Displayed excellent judgment and has helped others make difficult trade-off decisions quickly and decisively
- Led with empathy but also shown the ability to hold others accountable
- Created a psychologically safe environment and inclusive culture that teams can thrive in
- Been energized by ambiguity and working hands on while building some areas from the ground up: you’re excited to help us iterate on our existing discovery and delivery processes
- Gave their team clear goals and the autonomy to decide how they hit them, while using coaching and strategic direction to keep them focused
- Led onshore and has some experience in evaluating and working with offshore development teams
It would also be great if you have:
- 8+ years of relevant experience in engineering, with 5+ years in management roles across engineering teams
- Passion about hiring, coaching and managing high-performing teams in a rapidly growing company where you get to co-design the team structures with your VP counterparts to drive outcomes
- Familiarity working in health tech or other early stage startups
Do you think you could be our next Director, Engineering? We look forward to seeing your application!
Why you should join us:
- Be part of a team of great people who don’t take themselves too seriously. While we’re serious about the problems we solve, we believe in having fun along the way.
- Make an impact, every single day. We’re providing compassionate, affirming care to many people who have never received care for their condition.
- Receive great benefits from your first day of work. We offer plenty of paid time off, a parental leave top-up program, group benefits, learning stipends and other perks.
- Work flexibly, from anywhere across Canada.* We believe that work should fit around your life. We also have an office in Calgary available for anyone in the area!
- Be confident in bringing your whole self to work. Inclusivity is core to how we take care of our patients, our teammates and ourselves. We create spaces that are safe and affirming.
If you are looking for a place that sparks your creativity, helps others, and will push you to be your best, then you’ll love PurposeMed.
*Most of our roles are performed virtually from home (in a distributed team environment) across Canada. Team members who are in “onsite” roles at Affirming Care need to be physically present at our pharmacies.
PurposeMed is committed to being an equal opportunity employer, so we highly encourage those from excluded and marginalized communities to apply. This includes groups such as (but not limited to): Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities, trans and non-binary, LGBTQIA2S+, disabled, and HIV-positive people. You don’t have to check every single box above. If the job description gets you excited and you think you could contribute your expertise to our team—we hope you’ll apply!