Strategy and Operations Manager
PurposeMed was founded in 2019 with a mission to improve access to complex care for underserved communities. We’ve grown quickly in our first few years, and now our exceptional team serves hundreds of patients each month across our multiple verticals.
PurposeMed consists of three complex care business units; Freddie, Frida, Foria, and partners with Affirming Care Pharmacy. Freddie is focused on improving sexual health through education, prevention and treatment with a focus on the LGBTQ2S+ community—we’re now the largest HIV prevention service in Canada! Our second vertical, Frida, is focused on improving mental health and happiness through education, diagnosis and treatment. Frida is changing the lives of patients with easier access to adult ADHD diagnosis, and fast and affordable treatment. Foria was recently launched in 2023 and is a virtual clinic providing trans, non-binary, and gender-diverse Canadians with gender-affirming healthcare. Affirming Care Pharmacy is a specialty pharmacy with locations in Calgary, Alberta and Mississauga, Ontario. This partnership provides our patients with an end-to-end healthcare experience, from treatment, to prescription delivery, to continuous affirming care.
We are one of LinkedIn’s top 15 startups in Canada, a C100 Fellow, a member of the Lazaridis Institute, and a certified Great Place to Work® (92% of our employees agree)! Our culture is highly mission-driven; our team is passionate about bringing healthcare to those who need it most. Best of all—we have fun doing it.
Permanent, full-time opportunity
Location - Remote (Canada)
Though we have an office based in Calgary, this is a remote position that is open to candidates across Canada. PurposeMed's office is located on the unceded and traditional territories of the peoples of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot First Nation tribes of Siksika, the Piikuni, the Kainai, the Stoney Nakoda First Nations tribes of Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley and the Tsuut’ina First Nation. The city of Calgary is also homeland to the historic Northwest Métis and to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3.
Who we hope to find:
We are looking for a Strategy and Operations Manager to help continue to build on Freddie’s momentum as Canada’s largest HIV prevention service. We are looking for someone who can operate independently, move fast, and get things done. If you are excited by the idea of joining a team that is challenging the status quo, rolling up your sleeves and doing what it takes to reach our goals—read on!
This is a fast-paced role that will require a self-motivated candidate with exceptional financial, analytical, and interpersonal skills. We’re looking for someone with a strong ability to think strategically and be highly data-driven. Success comes from working as a team to reach our goals—you will partner closely with Finance, Marketing, Product, Data, Clinical and Operations, as well as a network of external partners to build a resilient business. This role reports to the General Manager, Freddie.
In this role, you’ll make an impact by:
- Identifying opportunities to grow revenues and profitability, and increase efficiency across the Freddie business unit
- Working cross-functionally to identify and solve major challenges for our patients and providers
- Improving financial and KPI reporting for Freddie, as well as financial projections
- Consistently evaluating and iterating on every aspect of the Freddie business to drive improvements in efficiency and profitability
- Adeptly leading initiatives through to completion by implementing effective project management infrastructure and OKR tracking
- Supporting the General Manager and Executive Leadership Team in decision-making
- Passionately moving forward PurposeMed’s mission by solving healthcare challenges for underserved communities
We need someone who has:
- 3-5 years of experience in consulting, investment banking, healthcare, startups or a related field
- Strong financial and data analyst skills, including experience with SQL to conduct analysis
- Comfort operating in rapidly changing and ambiguous environments
- An ownership mentality—you care about outcomes and are willing to lean in to support cross-functional teams as needed
- Success balancing the 10k foot strategic view and operating at the lowest level of detail
- A natural curiosity and is a quick learner—you love to figure out how things work and understand new business models
Do you think you could be our next Strategy and Operations Manager? We look forward to seeing your application!
Why you should join us:
- Be part of a team of great people who don’t take themselves too seriously. While we’re serious about the problems we solve, we believe in having fun along the way.
- Make an impact, every single day. We’re providing compassionate, affirming care to many people who have never received care for their condition.
- Receive great benefits from your first day of work. We offer plenty of paid time off, a parental leave top-up program, group benefits, learning stipends and other perks.
- Work flexibly, from anywhere across Canada.* We believe that work should fit around your life. We also have an office in Calgary available for anyone in the area!
- Be confident in bringing your whole self to work. Inclusivity is core to how we take care of our patients, our teammates and ourselves. We create spaces that are safe and affirming.
If you are looking for a place that sparks your creativity, helps others, and will push you to be your best, then you’ll love PurposeMed.
*Most of our roles are performed virtually from home (in a distributed team environment) across Canada. Team members who are in “onsite” roles at Affirming Care need to be physically present at our pharmacies.
PurposeMed is committed to being an equal opportunity employer, so we highly encourage those from excluded and marginalized communities to apply. This includes groups such as (but not limited to): Indigenous, Black, and racialized communities, trans and non-binary, LGBTQIA2S+, disabled, and HIV-positive people. You don’t have to check every single box above. If the job description gets you excited and you think you could contribute your expertise to our team—we hope you’ll apply!