Director of Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth! We’re looking for a passionate and people-first leader to help lead our Engineering Team as a Director of Engineering. This is a unique opportunity to be the main driver of our people and process development, and ensure our teams have everything they need to execute at their highest level. In this role, you'll make high-impact decisions daily and have a dedicated interest to help shape the future of Relay and build a product our customers love. *Please note that we are a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the office twice a week.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Oversee and participate in the day-to-day running of our engineering team
- Ensure all processes and rituals are effective and followed, including sprint planning, code reviews, and technical design reviews
- Help drive alignment across different teams and lead the engineering team in the development of new products
- Support the growth and development of a high-performing engineering team, including hiring, onboarding, and performance management
- Nurture a culture of innovation, creativity, and continuous improvement within the team
- Develop and implement new engineering processes and best practices to ensure the team is consistently delivering high-quality output, and iterate on our processes as the team scales
Who You Are:
- You have 4+ years of experience managing an engineering team in a high-growth environment
- You have a strong technical background with a proven track record of shipping high-quality products
- You know how to build and scale an engineering team and support them in doing their best work
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to calmly provide clarity in times of uncertainty or change – we are a startup after all!
- You’re a pragmatic decision maker – delivering product in a startup often requires tradeoffs in scope, technical debt, tight timelines, etc. and it’s important that you’re able to make the right decisions for our customers
- You are highly customer focused and never lose sight of who we’re building for
- You value creativity over capital – you’re able to think creatively to find solutions to tough problems without endless resources
- You are an energetic and results-oriented person, committed to adding value to our business and inspire this same ethos with your team
- You're highly collaborative and know how to connect the dots between teams and manage cross-functional initiatives
- You’ve joined a company at its early stages and have seen it through scale
- You have experience working in a fintech
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- 3 weeks vacation + end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your furry friends!
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’re a Mac environment and we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway, and together we'll figure out if this is the best role for you!
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.