Banking and Payments Operations Manager
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth. We’re looking for a Banking and Payments Operations Manager to help us scale our Operations engine. This is a unique opportunity to improve Relay’s customer experience and business performance by managing our third-party banking and payment solution providers. This includes defining and monitoring performance; managing roadmaps, feature releases, support requirements and escalations; collaborating with cross-functional teams and external partners; and leading as a subject matter expert across Relay.
Joining Relay means an opportunity to make a huge impact in building solutions with the potential to reach 29 million small businesses across North America. If you thrive on growth and solving real customer problems, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Utilize our BaaS and partner bank to expand the list of acceptable KYC/KYB documents
- Manage our selfie verification dashboard, and other relevant tooling, to increase new application approval rates and minimize friction
- Decrease transaction issues by monitoring ACH functionalities, ensuring that RDC acceptance rates are within industry standards, and collaborating with our BaaS provider to optimize check deposit rules
- Orchestrate shipment, dispute fillings, and the implementation of new features to upgrade the overall card experience Investigate and escalate rare customer issues regarding transactions and approvals
- Spearhead major product releases with our BaaS provider and other key third-party organizations
- Collaborate with external stakeholders such as our partner bank to ensure the language used in new product launches is well-aligned
- Coordinate any necessary legal changes including the adjustment of terms and conditions, deposit agreements, and cardholder agreements
- Identify and partner with new payment rails that unlock innovative ways for customers to pay and get paid
- Own key third-party vendor relationships that strengthen the customer experience
- Collaborate closely with departmental stakeholders across Relay, including Product, Risk, Customer Support, Marketing, and Sales teams
Who You Are:
- You have 5+ years of experience and management in banking and payment processing from both a B2B and B2C lens
- You have managed and owned projects that are focused on data investigation
- You have experience managing multiple core vendors, and are well-versed in stakeholder relationships
- You are familiar and well-versed in data insight toolings such as Metabase, Looker, etc.
- You consider yourself to be an exceptional project manager and handle context switching between projects and stakeholders with ease
- You have knowledge of the US Banking system including NACHA, wires, and BSA
- You have knowledge of SQL or other tools to drive data investigation projects
- You have experience with project leadership between cross-functional teams
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- 3 weeks vacation + end of year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’re a Mac environment and we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
- Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meets call with a member of the People team
- Stage 2: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with our VP of Risk
- Stage 3: A 45-minute Google Meets video call with members of the Product, Support, and Marketing teams
- Stage 4: A 45-minute Google Meets video call for a panel case study presentation
- Stage 5: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with the CEO of Relay
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications; if you don’t have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.