Director of Data & Insights
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth! We are looking to build a world-class data team and are looking for a passionate and people-first data leader who is eager to make an impact as our Director of Data & Insights. Reporting directly to our Head of Engineering, you will have the opportunity to help build teams and scale systems that drive meaningful insights throughout the company. You'll make high-impact decisions daily and have a dedicated interest to elevate data to be an internal product within Relay. *Please note that we are a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the office twice a week.
What You'll Be Doing
- Oversee and participate in the day-to-day execution of our data teams. Introduce process and structure to ensure the data team is executing effectively
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Operations, Customer Experience, Marketing, Finance etc.) to help define a data strategy and architecture that unlocks meaningful insights for the business
- Help drive prioritization and focus across our data team to ensure we’re working on the highest-leverage tasks at all times
- Grow, train, and develop a high-performing data team and support their growth and professional development
- Partner with the Talent team and participate in the hiring process. Help define roles and responsibilities across the teams as we scale
- Help define a technical roadmap for the evolution of data systems and infrastructure
- Create relationships across the different functions and keep a pulse on their data needs. Ensure teams have quick access to data that is accurate and high quality
- Collaborate with Product and Risk teams to leverage our data set in unique and differentiated ways through deployments of ML models and workflows
Who You Are
- You have 3+ years of experience managing a data team and 7+ years of experience in an engineering/data role
- You have deep experience in data engineering, data analytics, and data science, with a proven track record of shipping high-quality solutions
- You have a demonstrated history of growing and scaling teams and know the secret to building a high-performing, results-oriented data team
- You have excellent communication skills. You are a natural leader who has the ability to motivate and inspire the team and is able to calmly provide clarity in times of uncertainty
- You're a creative problem solver who values novel solutions to complex problems. You embody creativity over capital.
- You're a pragmatic decision-maker - delivering product in a startup often requires tradeoffs in scope, technical debt, tight timelines, etc. and it’s important that you’re able to make the right decisions for our customers
- You enjoy working cross-functionally with executives and stakeholders across the company and you position data as a partner to their success and elevate data to be an internal product within Relay
- You are an energetic and results-oriented person, committed to adding value to our business and inspire this same ethos with your team
- You’ve joined a company at its early stages and have seen it through scale
- You have experience working in a fintech startup
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications; if you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
Our Commitment To You
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- Considerable vacation/end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your furry friends!
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.