Software Engineering, Data Science
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
We’re looking for a Data Engineer to help us scale our data ecosystem as Relay enters an exciting new chapter of growth. This is a unique opportunity to be responsible for key aspects of the evolution of our data and analytics stack as the company grows. You'll have a dedicated interest in ensuring our teams have access to the right data at the right time in order for us to make the best decisions for our customers. Please note that we are a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the office twice a week.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Construct data models via dbt in our Snowflake data warehouse that allow for robust, secure, privacy-preserving analysis on Relay's rich trove of data
- Ensure the technology and processes that underpin our data platform scale as Relay continues to grow
- Create data tools, workflows and APIs for other technical teams to consume and interact with our data platform
- Work with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Build the systems that help us track core KPIs and ensure all our teams have the timely and accurate data they need to function effectively
- Work closely with Trust, Security and Governance teams to keep our customer data safe through security and compliance best practices
What You'll Bring:
- 3+ years of Data Engineering experience
- SQL knowledge that goes well beyond the basics of SELECT, WHERE and GROUP BY
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS, GCP or Azure), infrastructure-as-code, and familiarity with cloud data warehouse platforms (Bigquery, Snowflake, Redshift, etc.)
- Experience with business intelligence / data visualization tools (Looker, Metabase, Periscope, Mode, etc.)
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large datasets and a curiosity for exploratory data analysis
- The ability to execute independently with the input of cross-functional stakeholders
- Adaptability to handle change and uncertainty at times; We are a startup after all!
- You have an understanding of applied statistics, are able to create quantitative models, and can clearly communicate findings to a technical and non-technical audience
- You have domain knowledge of Banking or SaaS analytics, and are familiar with concepts like LTV, churn, retention, etc.
- You have experience with streaming or microbatch analytics (Spark Streaming, Flink, Beam, etc.) and design methodologies of persistent event stores (AWS Kinesis, GCP PubSub, Apache Kafka, Apache Pulsar, etc.)
- You’ve joined a company at its early stages and have seen it through scale
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway, and together we'll figure out if this is the best role for you!
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- 3 weeks vacation + end of year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in the office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your furry friends!
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’re a Mac environment and we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process
Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meet video call with a member of the People team
Stage 2: A 45-minute technical deep dive via Google Meet with our Director of Data
Stage 3: A 60-minute case study presented via Google Meet to a technical panel of stakeholders
Stage 4: A 30-minute Google Meet video call with one of our executives
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.