Accounting & Finance
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth. Reporting to the Director of Finance, we’re looking for a Junior Accountant to help us scale our Finance engine. In this role, you’ll be able to support financial reporting and operations processes that enable Relay to function. You’ll cross-functionally work with various departments across the organization including Marketing, Risk, IT and People to ensure compliance with accounting policies and deliver on internal reporting requests.
Joining Relay means an opportunity to make a huge impact in building solutions with the potential to reach 29 million small businesses across North America. If you thrive on growth and solving real customer problems, we want to hear from you! Please note that we are a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the office twice a week.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Manage our Vendor Payable Process: Review vendor invoices and prepare payment of invoices based on obtaining appropriate approvals. You will also ensure the proper classifications and accounting treatment of the invoices in Xero (accounting software)
- Manage Reconciliations: Perform reconciliations of bank accounts, card transactions and other financial data
- Month-End Close Process: Contribute meaningfully to month-end close and provide insight to team members about month-over-month expense variances
- Preparation of Government Remittances (HST): Assist in ensuring all filings are done promptly
- Process Improvements: Support with documenting and improving accounting processes and internal controls. Identify more effective ways to complete day-to-day transactions (e.g. areas of automation)
- Ad-Hoc Projects: This includes but is not limited to system implementations, providing external audit support in the future, analyzing costs and summarizing potential areas of savings, and participating in relevant financial data analysis to aid business decisions
Who You Are:
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- You are enrolled or in the process of enrolling in the CPA program
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
- You have an eye for detail and know how to ensure your work is error-free, clear and concise
- You’re analytical and can make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis
- You're a self-starter with a growth mindset and you thrive in a fast-paced environment
- You have prior experience working in Fintech or a tech start-up
- You have experience with Xero, Dext, Expensify or similar accounting tools
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications; if you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- Considerable vacation/end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid working environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer bi-weekly catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office.
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
- Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the Talent team
- Stage 2: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with the Director of Finance
- Stage 3: A take-home case study followed by a 45-minute presentation to our Finance team
- Stage 4: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with Relay’s CEO
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.