Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth. We’re looking for an Engineering Manager for our “Core” team. This team is responsible for shipping features that expand on Relay’s tooling, integration and native collaboration - and you’ll have the opportunity to influence the technical direction of the team. You'll make high-impact decisions daily and have direct influence on building a product loved by thousands of users.
*Please note that we are a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the office twice a week.*
What You'll Be Doing:
- Oversee and participate in the day-to-day running of “Core” engineering team.
- Oversee the planning, execution, and delivery of engineering projects, ensuring they meet quality standards, deadlines, and budget constraints.
- Ensure all processes and rituals are effective and followed, including sprint planning, code reviews, and technical design reviews.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to define and implement the technical vision and strategy for the company. Ensure alignment with overall business goals and customer needs.
- Work closely with product management, design, and other stakeholders to align engineering outputs with user needs and business objectives. Facilitate cross-functional teams to solve complex problems and deliver innovative solutions.
- Support the growth and development of a high-performing engineering team, including hiring, onboarding, and performance management.
- Foster a collaborative engineering culture that encourages feedback, learning, and growth. Organize knowledge-sharing sessions and support professional development opportunities for team members.
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of relevant development experience in a start-up environment; 1+ year of which includes people-management experience.
- You have a strong technical background with a proven track record of shipping high-quality products. Exposure to our tech stack (Node.js/Typescript/React/AWS is a plus).
- You are excited about building and scaling an engineering team while supporting them in doing their best work.
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to calmly provide clarity in times of uncertainty or change – we are a startup after all!
- You’re a pragmatic decision maker – delivering product in a startup often requires tradeoffs in scope, technical debt, tight timelines, etc. It’s important that you’re able to make the right decisions for our customers.
- You are highly customer focused and never lose sight of who we’re building for.
- You value creativity over capital – you’re able to think creatively to find solutions to tough problems without endless resources.
- You are an energetic and results-oriented person, committed to adding value to our business and inspire this same ethos with your team.
- You're highly collaborative and know how to connect the dots between teams and manage cross-functional initiatives.
- You’ve joined a company at its early stages and have seen it through scale.
- You have experience working in a fintech.
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- 3 weeks vacation + end of year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your fury friends!
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’re a Mac environment and we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meet video call with a member of the People Team
Stage 2: A 1-hour Google Meet video call with the Head of Engineering
Stage 3: A 1-hour Google Meet video call Case Study with the Head of Engineering and Engineering Manager, followed by a 30-minute Google Meet video call with two members of the Engineering Team
Stage 4: A 30-minute Google Meet video call Values Interview with a member of the Leadership Team
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway, and together we'll figure out if this is the best role for you!
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.