Software Engineer, Robotic Controls (Real-time Systems)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, March 3, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Our Controls Engineering team is looking to hire an additional Software Engineer. Reporting to the Controls Engineering Lead, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of our existing control systems and iterate to improve our testing cadence and team performance.
The best candidates for this role have excellent quality programming skills and hands-on experience with developing real-time robotic systems. You’ll be a valued team resource as you work with a wide variety of software systems, tackling challenges that include abstracting robot platforms for development and production, data and signals processing, the development of a real-time control architecture, and various levels of control systems. Your efforts in writing, debugging, maintaining, and documenting code will contribute to our human-like intelligence platform.
Our Success Criteria
- Bring hands-on experience in designing, implementing, documenting, and maintaining a real-time framework to robot control
- Gain cutting edge career experience as you build and monitor the performance of controls architecture and diagnose/resolve technical issues with the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots
- Minimum BSc/BEng degree in computer science, physics, engineering, or equivalent
- Minimum 3+ years of Robotics software experience
- Expert skills in C/C++ programming languages
- Experience with ROS2 and/or DDS
- Knowledge of distributed controls or network protocols (Ethernet, EtherCAT, etc)
- Experience in software development with hard real-time constraints for Linux
- Has knowledge of Robot kinematics and dynamics.
- Experience working on complex software engineering problems as part of a team
- Familiar with Docker
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Fast learner; able to adapt to evolving processes and guidelines
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Obsession with bringing human-like intelligence to machines
Your Skills & Qualifications
Skills and Qualifications
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.