Software Engineer - System Integration
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Our Systems Integration team is looking to hire a Software Engineer. Reporting to the System Integration Team lead, you'll gain a comprehensive understanding of our platform's design, architecture, and implementation that power our general-purpose robots. The ideal applicants for this position enjoy systems thinking, are eager to learn, and are willing to develop technical skills while gaining valuable industry experience.
Ultimately, you'll be a valued part of the team as you learn and adapt to new, complex development environments, own solutions from design and execution through to deployment and support, and innovate best practices that drive continuous improvements in our robotic systems.
Our Success Criteria
- Gain cutting-edge career experience while automating workflows and processes, managing, optimizing, and securing on-robot, edge computers, and cloud environments
- Build, deploy and monitor operations of the component subsystems, ensuring that all segments work together as a coherent unit
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to support a fleet of general-purpose robots
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you partner with leaders to ensure smooth deployment and configuration, provide technical support to end users, and structure/update technical documentation
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Knowledge of professional engineering practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source management, testing, and operations
- Fluency with C++, Python, Java, or equivalent
- Ability to design, implement, and test in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with CI/CD and Cloud platforms
- A track record of technical excellence and successful projects under minimal supervision.
- Understanding the fundamentals of computer science, data structures, and operating systems
- Familiarity with distributed system design, security, and networking
- Experience with testing patterns to produce high-quality code (unit/integration tests)
- Ability to debug complex issues and resolve them
- Excellent process documentation skills
- The successful candidate will be a proponent of personal responsibility for themselves and their teammates
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Empathetic listener with conflict resolution capabilities
- Clear communicator and adaptive interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and able to solve problems independently
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving issues
- Mission-driven and passionate about bringing human-like intelligence to general-purpose robots
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.