Distinguished Technologist, AI & Cognitive Platforms
Software Engineering, Data Science
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Your New Role and Team
As part of our growing team, the Distinguished Technologist will work closely with the CTO, CPO, CCO, Product Management, Software Engineering, and Machine-Learning (ML) teams. The Distinguished Technologist will be responsible for leading the architectural design and technology used in our cognitive platform and mapping business requirements to architectural design and implementation.
The Distinguished Technologist will also work across multiple departments and leadership groups to design, implement, and accelerate the delivery of Sanctuary’s mission. As an acting member of the technical leadership team, the Distinguished Technologist will be crucial in our goal of building human-like intelligence in a general purpose robot.
Our Success Criteria
- Bring experience of developing AI & ML platforms to evolve our cognitive platform
- Ensure that we’re building a general-purpose cognitive platform
- Collaborate with our technology partners to evolve our multi-technology AI platform
- Coach & mentor technical teams through evaluating technologies and approaches
- Work with leadership to communicate our plan and technology to company stakeholders
- Collaborate with Product Management, Software Engineering, ML Engineering, IP Leaders, Customer Success, and Business Development to understand constraints and objectives of each team
- Demonstrated experience developing and deploying sophisticated AI systems in real-world environments
- 10+ years in executive technical roles, research, and distinguished technical leadership: Distinguished in both institution/company and distinguished in wider industry
- Master's, PhD, or Equivalent Experience; Technical degree or relevant experience in AI systems is applicable
- 15+ years of experience designing, building, and operating large-scale ML data systems
- Successful experience initiating and driving org-wide initiatives to the finish line
- Experienced making regular contributions to the AI/ML community through blog posts, tech talks, etc.
- Track record of generating IP through patents and publications
- Demonstrated leadership in AI & ML open-source programs
- Demonstrated leadership in combining multiple AI & ML technologies including but not limited to: Cognitive Architectures, Multi-agent systems, Symbolic reasoning, NLP/NLU/NLG, Large Language Models (LLMs), Reinforcement Learning, Deep-Learning, Knowledge representations, Task Planning methods and others
- Cohesive ability to map complex ideas into exemplar use-cases in partnership with Product Management and Executive Leadership
- Track record of coaching, mentoring, and developing great talent
- Comprehensive ability to communicate complex and sophisticated technologies to executive leadership, customers, and company partners
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on agreed milestones and timescales and operate within a complex concurrent engineering program
- Prior success showcasing iterative evolution to customers, investors, and internal business stakeholders
- Comprehensive ability to design & engineer systems for scale and serviceability from prototype to production
- Demonstrated experience and skills with: RL, DL, Cyc, GraphQL, Spark, Flink, Databricks, Python, C++
- Prior experience of defining APIs and Programming Languages
- Will thrive in a zero-politics environment focused uniquely on our world-changing mission
- Highly competitive and driven to succeed
- Professional, calm, and consistently optimistic in the face of adversity and difficult challenges
- Excited about the opportunity to play a critical role with a visionary company taking on the dual grand challenges of building human-like intelligence and general-purpose robots
- Entrepreneurial and goal-driven with a high level of energy
- Motivated and effective in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Charismatic and inspirational leader
- Ideally this candidate will be based in Vancouver, BC, or is able to relocate; we will consider exceptional candidates who are able to frequently travel for work in Canada
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.