Senior Software Engineer, Cognitive Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary AI is looking to hire a talented Software Engineer to join our Cognitive Services team. This is a career changing chance to collaborate with world-class scientists and engineers. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll design and implement cognitive logic and motion planning for the Carbon™ platform on our Phoenix robots. The ideal Software Engineer should have a passion for robotics, general-purpose AI, and a desire to work with industry-leading technologies.
As a more experienced Software Engineer, you’ll bring comprehensive system and Application Programming Interface (API) design skills and hands-on experience in implementing, deploying, and maintaining Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) models and pipelines that follow engineering best practices. Familiarity with the Robotic Operating System (ROS) and cloud development is considered an asset. As part of the team, you will be a valuable resource, working with research scientists to implement, test, and launch state of the art AI models.
Our Success Criteria
- Gain cutting-edge career experience developing cognitive logic, as well as managing, optimizing, and securing on-robot, edge computers, and cloud environments
- Design, build, and deploy large-scale deep learning models for object detection and pose estimation
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to implement innovative solutions for real-time navigation and user interaction
- Identify and fine-tune machine learning models to optimize the performance
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you partner with leaders to ensure smooth deployment and configuration, provide technical support to end users, and structure/update technical documentation
- 5+ years of software development experience focused on AI, ML, NLP, or human-computer interaction (HCI) preferred
- Fluency with C/C++, Python, or equivalent, and comprehensive knowledge of professional engineering practices
- Understanding the fundamentals of computer science, data structures, and operating systems
- Ability to design, implement, and test in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) and Cloud platforms
- Hands-on experience building highly scalable distributed systems on the Cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with leading System and API design (modularity, scalability, and reliability)
- A track record of technical excellence and successful projects under minimal supervision
- Experience with Large Language Models (LLMs) and model optimization
- Experience in mentoring and leading other engineers
- The successful candidate will be a proponent of personal responsibility for themselves and their teammates
- Above all else, possess a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Empathetic listener with conflict-resolution capabilities
- Clear communicator and adaptive interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and able to solve problems independently
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving issues
- Mission-driven and passionate about bringing human-like intelligence to general-purpose robots
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.