SLAM Research Engineer
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary AI is seeking exceptional SLAM (Simultaneous Localization and Mapping) Research Engineers to join our team of experienced Machine Learning (ML) Researchers and Engineers working on foundational challenges of robotic perception, planning, and reasoning.
As a SLAM Research Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and implementing novel algorithms, testing your algorithms in simulation, and conducting real-world deployments with our robots. With access to our industry-leading robots, you will have a unique opportunity for impactful work with new haptic and proprioceptive sensing modalities. As part of your work, you’ll learn, utilize, and innovate leading-edge SLAM methodologies.
Our Success Criteria
- Design, build, and deploy novel SLAM algorithms for use in real-world settings
- Lead projects as a SME (subject matter expert) of state-of-the-art topics in SLAM, computer vision (CV), and robotics
- Identify and communicate promising research directions for use by other researchers and collaborators
- Implement and test known solutions and research ways of improving existing Sanctuary system performance with regards to standard metrics such as speed, memory, computational resource usage, and scalability
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to conduct root-cause analysis of performance issues in current implementations and create novel solutions
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience; publications in the fields of ML, CV, or robotics
- Demonstrated experience in a wide variety of ML methods with a demonstrated focus in SLAM and robotics
- Expertise in structure-from-motion, multiple view geometry, bayesian estimation and nonlinear optimization
- Demonstrated experience with state-estimation from multiple sensors
- Demonstrated experience with Neural-SLAM approaches
- Experience with deep-learning frameworks such as PyTorch or Tensorflow
- Experience taking ML R&D and trained models into production: MLOps in a DevOps environment
- Hands-on experience implementing SLAM on a robotics platform
- Demonstrated experience in 3D Scene Understanding
- Demonstrated experience working with high-DOF robots
- Production-level development with Python 3.8 or later
- Production-level development with C++
- Familiarity with HPC tools: CUDA, OpenMP, SSE
- Familiarity with ROS2
- Effective use of Atlassian tools; Jira, GitLab, Confluence
- Strong background in nonlinear optimization theory
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Optimistic listening and conflict resolution capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without authority
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Obsession with bringing human-like intelligence to machines
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.