Senior Firmware Engineer
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Join the adventure! Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking an Senior Firmware Engineer who is ready to redefine the future of humanoid robotics. Under the mentorship of our accomplished Firmware Team Lead, you'll not just understand but perfect the intricacies of our state-of-the-art design, architecture, and real-time distributed systems. This is the beating heart that brings our general-purpose robots to life!
If you're a powerhouse in software development and have hands-on expertise in embedded system design, this role is your stage! At our cutting-edge development hub, every day is a new learning experience. You won't just adapt, you'll thrive in sophisticated development environments. From ideation to deployment and all the way to support—own your solutions! Your ingenuity will spark advancements in best practices that fuel continuous leaps in our robotic capabilities.
Remember, Robotics isn't a solo act — it's a team effort! Be prepared to collaborate, innovate, and celebrate as you become a pivotal part of a team that's shaping the future, one robot at a time!
Our Success Criteria
- Bring hands-on experience in designing, deploying, documenting, and maintaining embedded systems.
- Gain cutting edge career experience as you develop real-time distributed systems that enable our robotics system’s.
- Expand your engineering experience as you develop a deep understanding of the embedded systems that compose a general-purpose robot.
- Work closely with the electrical and controls teams to build and deploy general purpose robots.
- Tap into your leadership/mentorship skills as you document, communicate, and collaborate on improving system components.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical/computer engineering, computer science, mechatronics engineering, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of firmware development experience
- Knowledge of professional engineering practices for the full product life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source management, agile processes, testing, and operations
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement, and test in a fast-paced environment
- Have worked through the complete life cycle of building and sustaining high-performance embedded systems
- Experience with C/C++ for embedded systems
- Practical experience with real-time distributed systems and hard real-time constraints
- Familiarity with Linux and embedded Linux development
- Experience working with industrial communication protocols (such as EtherCAT or CAN)
- Relevant experience in designing system architecture, including broad technical knowledge in sensors, precision motion control, and robotics
- Proficiency with firmware tools such as logic analyzers, oscilloscopes and JTAG debuggers
- Familiarity with FPGA development and hardware description languages
- Familiarity with ROS/ROS2 or other robotic applications
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Optimistic listening and conflict resolution capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without authority
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Obsession with bringing human-like intelligence to machines
Entry-rate Annual Salary: $92,000 CAD and up
At Sanctuary, we provide above average total compensation that includes three components: salary, equity, and benefits. Our goal is to ensure fairness in pay and we strive to make the overall package highly competitive with current market rates.
Equity will play a significant role in the total compensation for this role. Our goal is to provide a generous equity compensation package, exceeding what is typically offered by companies of our size. The specific amount of equity will be communicated to candidates upon receiving an offer.
Benefits - Canadian permanent employees are eligible for:
+ Medical Insurance
+ Hearing Aids
+ Life Insurance and AD&D
+ $500 per calendar year Healthcare Spending Account
+ Unique complimentary beverages and snacks at our head office
The compensation and benefits details provided for this role in Vancouver, BC are based on Sanctuary's market evaluation and may be subject to changes in the future. Your pay within the specified range will depend on various job-related factors, such as your past work experience, relevant education, and performance during interviews or work trials. Salary minimum provided is an entry-level rate for this role, as a requirement of the Pay Transparency Act in British Columbia.
** Please do not submit any information that is confidential to you or any third party. By submitting an application, you acknowledge and agree that your application does not contain any information that is confidential to you or any third party. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.