Hardware Co-op: Firmware Engineering (January 2024 term)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a Firmware Engineering Co-op student. Reporting to the firmware lead, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of how to develop firmware for Sanctuary’s robotic systems.
The best candidates for this role have excellent problem solving skills and hands-on experience with building robotic systems. Ultimately, you’ll be a valued resource as you develop firmware for a variety of embedded robotic systems, collaborate with other teams to create integrated systems, as well as maintain and update existing firmware systems.
Our Success Criteria
- Bring hands-on experience in designing, implementing, documenting, and maintaining firmware and embedded systems
- Gain cutting edge career experience as you work with multiple teams to develop functionality and features for the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots and get involved in all stages of prototype development
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you partner with leaders to enhance robot functionality, provide technical support and keep technical documentation updated
- Expand your engineering experience as you develop a deep understanding of robotic systems
- Tap into your organizational skills as you document projects and processes
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in electrical/computer engineering, computer science, mechatronics engineering, engineering physics, or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Knowledge of ARM or equivalent embedded microcontroller architectures
- Experience interfacing with sensors through communication protocols such as I2C/SPI/CAN/Ethernet
- Experience developing in an RTOS environment and writing low-level drivers
- Fluency with C for embedded systems, and ability to deliver high-quality code
- Fluency with using oscilloscopes, multimeters, and other electrical engineering tools
- Systems Engineering, Integration, and root cause analysis skills for system issues
- Fluency with testing and debugging with standard tools (oscilloscope, in-circuit debug, digital multimeter, etc)
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and process documentation skills
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Enthusiasm for bringing human-like intelligence to machines
** Please note, all applicants must upload their Resume AND Portfolio to complete the application process for this role. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.