Hardware Co-op: Mechanical Engineering (January 2024 term)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a Mechanical Engineering Co-op student. Reporting to the Robotics lead, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of our cycle testing, mechatronics, and mechanical engineering activities.
The best candidates for this role have excellent problem-solving skills and hands-on experience with building robotic or mechatronic systems. Ultimately, you’ll be a valued resource as you support the design/build process of our robotic systems, collaborate with other teams to test multiple components, and maintain and update prototype hardware features.
- Bring hands-on experience in understanding and designing our robotics hardware, printing experimental parts, devise and carry out testing, and present results/suggest improvements
- Gain cutting edge career experience as you design and build cycle testing hardware, work with engineers to create a test plan, write cycle testing software, analyze and organize test data, and work on streamlining and modularizing testing setup
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you partner with leaders and engineers to improve our robotics hardware, and participate in a variety of impactful robotics and hardware related projects projects
- Expand your engineering skills as you work on mechanical and mechatronics design, drawings, BOMs, testing, manufacturing, assembly instructions, and more
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineering or graduated within the last two years
- Experience using OnShape or another CAD tool
- Experience with complex mechanical or mechatronic systems
- Excellent practical skills, including assembly, soldering, and use of hand/power tools
- Ability to manage and utilize 3D printers
- Knowledge of electrical circuits and components
- Foundational skills in coding and data analysis
- Experience with mechanical component selection
- Experience with engineering drawings
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and process documentation skills
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- A passion for engineering and building things
- Enthusiasm for bringing human-like intelligence to machines
**Applications without a portfolio or personal website will not be considered**
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.