Hardware Co-op: R&D (January 2024 term)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a Hardware R&D Co-op. Reporting to the Hardware R&D Lead, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of hardware systems, sensors and actuators, instrumentation, and control systems.
The best candidates for this role have excellent mechanical/mechatronics engineering or engineering physics or equivalent background and hands-on experience with fast prototyping, machining, sensors and actuators, mechanical mechanisms, fluid mechanics and heat transfer. Ultimately, you’ll be a valued resource as you contribute to the development and optimization of the actuation systems, sensors, and other instrumentations.
Our Success Criteria
- Bring hands-on experience in machining, fast prototyping methods, structural simulation, sensors and actuator design
- Gain cutting-edge career experience as you build and monitor the performance of new prototypes, resolve issues and iterate to improve the performance and resolve the issues of the previous versions
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you partner with design and mechanical teams using test equipment and assisting with experiments
- Expand your R&D experience as you develop, prototype and manufacture new parts and systems
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics engineering, engineering physics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Knowledge in fluid mechanics, hydraulics and heat transfer
- Knowledge of CAD, mechanical design, mechanisms and actuators
- Hands-on experience and deep technical understanding of prototyping methods, machining, and 3D printing
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical design, fluid mechanics (including hydraulics) and heat transfer, sensors and actuators, and mechatronics systems
- CAD experience (OnShape, SolidWorks, etc.), machining and power tools experience, and hands-on experience with fast prototyping methods
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and process documentation skills
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Optimistic listening and conflict resolution capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without authority
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Obsession with bringing human-like intelligence to machines
** Please note, all applicants must upload their Resume AND Portfolio to complete the application process for this role. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.