Software Co-op: AI/Automation (January 2024 term)
Software Engineering, Data Science
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a Software Co-op student. Reporting to the AI Team Lead, you will have the opportunity to tackle a variety of challenges related to the perception, planning, and motion systems of a humanoid general-purpose robot.
The best candidates for this role have excellent software development and machine learning skills as well as hands-on experience with robotics. In this role you’ll be a valued contributor and you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of the design, architecture, and implementation of the simulation platform and machine learning systems that power our general-purpose robots.
Our Success Criteria
- Gain cutting edge career experience as you implement and evaluate new algorithms as they pertain to sensory systems or task and motion planning
- Expand your engineering experience as you evaluate new hardware/sensors including cameras, microphones, and touch sensors
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you contribute to maintenance and evolution of our development and deployment tools
- Tap into your mentorship skills as you document, communicate, and collaborate on improving system components
- Pursuing or completing a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience writing software in Python or C++
- Experience with robotics (ROS, hardware drivers, real-time signal processing)
- Experience training/deploying machine learning models
- Experience with computer vision, image processing and/or computer graphics
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Optimistic listening and conflict resolution capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without authority
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Obsession with bringing human-like intelligence to machines
Qualifications and Skills
** Please note, all applicants must upload their Resume AND Portfolio to complete the application process for this role. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.