Mechanical Design Team Lead
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a highly motivated and adept Mechanical Design Team Lead to join us on our mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in our general-purpose robots. In this pivotal role, you'll report directly to the VP of Engineering and Manufacturing and take on the daunting yet exhilarating challenge of dissecting and optimizing our humanoid robot's intricate mechanical systems and movement paradigms. Designing a humanoid robot is exceptionally challenging, as it combines a complex interplay of mechanical, electrical, and software components to mimic human-like functionalities.
As the Mechanical Design Team Lead, your expertise in mechanical engineering is only the tip of the iceberg. You'll be working closely with cross-functional teams that span software development, electrical engineering, AI, and machine learning departments, among others. Achieving the zenith of humanoid robotic design is not a solo endeavor; it's a meticulously coordinated team effort requiring each machine cog to function at peak performance. Your role is not just critical in mechanical design but is also elemental in fostering a collaborative environment that enables seamless integration between various engineering disciplines.
Candidates who will excel in this role will possess a profound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and significant prior experience in humanoid or comparably complex mechatronics projects. In your capacity, you'll be responsible for assuring technical excellence throughout the project lifecycle, from inception to completion. This includes closely monitoring project timelines, identifying and mitigating risks, and steering the technical team through the maze of inherent challenges in creating a groundbreaking, intelligent machine.
Our Success Criteria
- Exhibit hands-on proficiency in driving humanoid or advanced robotics projects from a mechanical design perspective.
- Engage in groundbreaking career opportunities as you translate visionary robot designs into tangible units and confront unique research and engineering dilemmas.
- Elevate your influence across the company as you collaborate with leaders to refine and bolster the company's design, manufacturing, and upkeep procedures.
- Enrich your leadership landscape as you champion company values and foster personal growth within the mechanical design team.
- Deploy your managerial acumen in drafting, communicating, and cooperating on project management literature while facilitating interactions amongst technical factions.
- Diploma/Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, or a correlated technical domain or commensurate experience.
- 5+ years of significant mechanical design management or leadership within the robotics sector or similar environments.
- Acquainted with professional practices for the entire product life cycle, especially from a mechanical design perspective.
- Prior engagement in environments demanding meticulous coordination of mechanical design processes.
- Experience in running design reviews, managing requirements, managing risks, and transforming engineering teams to iterate hardware quickly.
- Comprehensive exposure to the creation, implementation, and sustenance of high-efficiency robotic systems.
- Prior experience with OnShape and PLM tools is a huge plus.
- Familiarity with Jira or other similar work management tools as well as Agile and waterfall methodologies
- Proficiency with CAD tools and simulation software pertinent to mechanical design.
- Fundamental grasp of mechanical principles, kinematics, and dynamics related to humanoid robotics.
- Capability to digest and interpret intricate technical data swiftly.
- Can synthesize technical information quickly.
- An unwavering positive outlook and a commitment to devise robust solutions for intricate quandaries.
- Effective listening, negotiation, and conflict mitigation skills.
- Proven propensity to motivate, steer collaboration, and cultivate/mentor teams.
- Tackling unpredicted challenges with available resources innovatively.
- Proactive identification and management of potential hurdles.
- Unyielding dedication to timelines, meticulous attention to detail.
- Passion for actualizing lifelike traits in robotic entities.
Entry-rate Annual Salary: $110,000 CAD and up
At Sanctuary, we provide above average total compensation that includes three components: salary, equity, and benefits. Our goal is to ensure fairness in pay and we strive to make the overall package highly competitive with current market rates.
Equity will play a significant role in the total compensation for this role. Our goal is to provide a generous equity compensation package, exceeding what is typically offered by companies of our size. The specific amount of equity will be communicated to candidates upon receiving an offer.
Benefits - Canadian permanent employees are eligible for:
+ Medical Insurance
+ Hearing Aids
+ Life Insurance and AD&D
+ $500 per calendar year Healthcare Spending Account
+ Unique complimentary beverages and snacks at our head office
The compensation and benefits details provided for this role in Vancouver, BC are based on Sanctuary's market evaluation and may be subject to changes in the future. Your pay within the specified range will depend on various job-related factors, such as your past work experience, relevant education, and performance during interviews or work trials. Salary minimum provided is an entry-level rate for this role, as a requirement of the Pay Transparency Act in British Columbia.
** Please do not submit any information that is confidential to you or any third party. By submitting an application, you acknowledge and agree that your application does not contain any information that is confidential to you or any third party. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.