Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a DataOps Engineer to support the design of data collection protocols, analysis, and curation of telemetry data recorded during the testing & operation of our General Purpose Robots (GPRs).
The DataOps Engineer will report to our Principal Data Platform Architect and work closely with software engineers, hardware engineers, research scientists, Quality Assurance (QA) and customer deployment teams. The DataOps Engineer will also be instrumental in the development of a data-centric infrastructure and the creation of data-assets used in our Machine Learning (ML) and AI development practice.
The ideal DataOps Engineer candidate for this role will be a versatile, creative engineer with proven experience in supporting data-warehouse/data-lake structures, setting up DataOps processes, data-annotation, data-exploration, and DataOps pipelines to feed large-scale ML pipelines and frameworks to accelerate our mission success. You’ll be a valued contributor as you learn how our sophisticated multi-degree-of-freedom robotic systems work while collaborating with multi-functional teams, including ML, Platform, Product Design, and Hardware and Sensor teams, to collect, validate and process the large data sets.
Our Success Criteria
- Acquire and annotate datasets that align with ML needs
- Develop algorithms to transform data into useful, actionable information
- Build and support a secure, extensive, scalable, repeatable, and high-performing data collection platform
- Select appropriate data collection methodology and data representation methods
- Systematically alter/improve datasets in order to increase the accuracy of ML applications
- Build and deploy ML model evaluation pipelines
- Analyze collected data and show how the data contribute to the model performance
- Build and implement tools that will support data analysis
- Utilize DataOps platforms and tools
- BA/BS degree or higher in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, or Data Science or equivalent professional work experience
- 3+ years experience in a Data Platform Engineer, DataOps, or equivalent role
- 2+ years of Experience with ML frameworks, platforms and tools
- Solid understanding of statistical learning algorithms, including (self, semi) supervised, unsupervised and transfer learning
- Ability to develop data collection efforts that focus on the end-to-end user experience, including anticipating potential failure modes, edge cases, and anomalies
- Skilled in finding patterns in data, identifying targets for performance, and applying modern statistical and ML-based methods to model data distributions for reducing redundancy and detecting and addressing out-of-distribution samples
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of database schema design and report design at an advanced level
- Demonstrated proficiency with Python for data pipeline development
- Demonstrated experience developing, optimizing, and maintaining data warehouse solutions
- Demonstrated experience with MLOps, ML, and deep learning techniques; including but not limited to Computer Vision, SLAM, NLP/NLU, and Robotics
- Demonstrated experience with setup and configuration of data-warehouse/data-lake platforms and tools such as ClearML, DataBricks, and Snowflake
- Experience with Structure-from-Motion, 3D Reconstruction, and Motion Capture Systems
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Optimistic listening and conflict resolution capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and able to solve problems independently
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to get things done
- Obsession with bringing intelligence to machines
Entry-rate Annual Salary: $105,000 CAD and up
At Sanctuary, we provide above average total compensation that includes three components: salary, equity, and benefits. Our goal is to ensure fairness in pay and we strive to make the overall package highly competitive with current market rates.
Equity will play a significant role in the total compensation for this role. Our goal is to provide a generous equity compensation package, exceeding what is typically offered by companies of our size. The specific amount of equity will be communicated to candidates upon receiving an offer.
Benefits - Canadian permanent employees are eligible for:
+ Medical Insurance
+ Hearing Aids
+ Life Insurance and AD&D
+ $500 per calendar year Healthcare Spending Account
+ Unique complimentary beverages and snacks at our head office
The compensation and benefits details provided for this role in Vancouver, BC are based on Sanctuary's market evaluation and may be subject to changes in the future. Your pay within the specified range will depend on various job-related factors, such as your past work experience, relevant education, and performance during interviews or work trials. Salary minimum provided is an entry-level rate for this role, as a requirement of the Pay Transparency Act in British Columbia.
** Please do not submit any information that is confidential to you or any third party. By submitting an application, you acknowledge and agree that your application does not contain any information that is confidential to you or any third party. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.