Hardware Co-op: Robotics Testing (January 2024 term)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a Mechatronics Test Engineering Co-op student. Reporting to the System Validation lead, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of our subsystem validation and design of testing equipment.
The best candidates for this role have excellent problem-solving skills and hands-on experience with building robotic or mechatronic systems. Ultimately, you’ll be a valued resource as you support the improvement of our robotic systems by collaborating with engineers to design and integrate test equipment, develop validation plans, execute tests and analyze data.
Our Success Criteria
- Apply your practical experience in designing, implementing and documenting mechanical and electrical systems to create modular and scalable testing equipment to analyze complex robotic subassemblies.
- Collaborate with design engineers to validate and refine electromechanical subsystem components by developing and implementing test plans and then analyzing the data to offer actionable results.
- Broaden your engineering proficiency while carrying out tasks such as creating engineering drawings, generating BOMs, overseeing manufacturing and completing assembly for test equipment.
- Streamline testing procedures by developing industrial automation setups, writing automated testing software, and creating efficient testing plans.
- Setup, perform and analyze tests per specified test plans while collecting, documenting and maintaining test results.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Mechatronics/Electromechanical Engineering or Engineering Physics or graduated within the last two years
- Prior Co-op or design team experience an asset
- The ability to potentially extend the co-op term to 8 months is an asset
- Extensive experience using OnShape, SolidWorks or other CAD tools required
- Excellent hands-on skills (basic fabrication, wiring, soldering, debugging, hand/power tools)
- Experience designing for and executing FDM or SLA manufacturing processes
- Ability to perform mechanical and electrical component selection and design
- Comfortable with oscilloscopes, multimeters, and other electrical engineering tools
- Some experience with industrial automation tools an asset (PLCs, DAQs, relays)
- Prior projects using Python, C++ or Matlab an asset
- Excellent written communication (process and technical reporting)
- Ability to diligently perform failure investigations and root cause analysis
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- A passion for engineering and building things
- Enthusiasm for bringing human-like intelligence to machines
** Please note, all applicants must upload their Resume AND Portfolio to complete the application process for this role. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.