Quality Assurance Engineer
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company–is seeking a Quality Assurance Engineer. Working closely with our co-founder and CTO, Dr. Suzanne Gildert, and reporting to our Director of Software Engineering, you'll be driving a proprietary internal testing process critical to the evolution of our system's hardware and software aspects.
The Quality Assurance Engineer will handle the vital responsibilities of helping construct, evolve, and accelerate the capabilities of a system designed to support human-like intelligence. You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of our existing systems and component testing process and iterate to improve our software testing performance.
The best Quality Assurance Engineer candidates have experience designing and running test programs for high-complexity network-connected technological systems. This includes systems comprising hardware, software, and AI/ML technologies, such as autonomous vehicles, drones, mobile robots, or high-performance space vehicles or aircraft.
Ultimately, you'll manage execution against our workflow testing process for all components throughout the robotic system, establish procedures for running those tests, automate as much as possible, and maximize scalable testing acceleration. Demonstrated experience in Systems Engineering disciplines would allow you to hit the ground running in this role.
Our Success Criteria
- Bring hands-on experience in implementing, documenting, and maintaining testing solutions and lifecycles for highly complex technological systems involving hardware and software
- Gain cutting-edge career experience with continual testing of a system designed to be the world's first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots
- Achieve company-wide visibility as you work with leadership to continually push the boundaries of system capability forward
- Expand your experience as you develop a user-level understanding of advanced modern robotics and human-like intelligence systems
- Tap into your leadership skills as you document, communicate, and enforce testing policies and SOPs used by the team
- Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Mechatronics, Automation, etc.) or equivalent work experience required
- Experience developing and executing test scenarios and supporting data collection
- Hands-on experience presenting test reports from analyzed data with unambiguous and actionable findings
- Provable ability to write scripts and create automation environments for repeated software tests, utilizing common scripting languages and various automation tools
- Experience with automating and executing software testing programs
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, including research scientists, hardware, electrical and software engineers
- Demonstrated proficiency dealing with big data, noisy data, and nondeterministic/stochastic systems
- Familiarity with networking concepts and protocols such as Firewalls, DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, SSL or equivalent
- Exposure to various testing frameworks such as Selenium, Serenity, Robot, or similar
- Familiarity with electro-mechanical systems, autonomous vehicles, robotics, and/or industrial automation
- Excellent organizational and process documentation skills
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without authority
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Extreme Patience, conscientiousness, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Obsession with bringing human-like intelligence to machines
Entry-rate Annual Salary: $80,000 CAD and up
At Sanctuary, we provide above average total compensation that includes three components: salary, equity, and benefits. Our goal is to ensure fairness in pay and we strive to make the overall package highly competitive with current market rates.
Equity will play a significant role in the total compensation for this role. Our goal is to provide a generous equity compensation package, exceeding what is typically offered by companies of our size. The specific amount of equity will be communicated to candidates upon receiving an offer.
Benefits - Canadian permanent employees are eligible for:
+ Medical Insurance
+ Hearing Aids
+ Life Insurance and AD&D
+ $500 per calendar year Healthcare Spending Account
+ Unique complimentary beverages and snacks at our head office
The compensation and benefits details provided for this role in Vancouver, BC are based on Sanctuary's market evaluation and may be subject to changes in the future. Your pay within the specified range will depend on various job-related factors, such as your past work experience, relevant education, and performance during interviews or work trials. Salary minimum provided is an entry-level rate for this role, as a requirement of the Pay Transparency Act in British Columbia.
** Please do not submit any information that is confidential to you or any third party. By submitting an application, you acknowledge and agree that your application does not contain any information that is confidential to you or any third party. **
Working at Sanctuary
Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, 12 paid holidays, 5 days of annual sick leave, and parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary career site or directly to any Sanctuary employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary’s sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.