AI/ML Intern: Reinforcement Learning (May 2024 term)
Software Engineering, Data Science
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Your New Role and Team
Sanctuary AI–a multi award-winning LinkedIn Top Startup company - is looking to hire a Software intern to contribute to our team’s work in engineering and innovating unique robotic manipulation tasks.
Reporting to the AI Team Lead, you will have the opportunity to tackle a variety of challenges related to the perception, planning, and motion systems for humanoid general-purpose robots.
The best candidates for this role have excellent software development and machine learning skills as well as hands-on experience with robotics. In this role you’ll be a valued contributor and you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of the design, architecture, and implementation of the simulation platform and machine learning systems that power our general-purpose robots.
Our Success Criteria
- Design, implement, and improve state-of-the-art Reinforcement Learning (RL) and Imitation Learning (IL) algorithms and test them in real-world settings
- Keep up to date with state-of-the-art RL/IL methodologies and robotics
- Identify, communicate, and drive promising research directions to the team
- Find ways of improving existing implementations of RL/IL pipelines with regards to standard metrics such as sample efficiency, speed, computational resource usage, and scalability
- Design RL/IL training and data-collection pipelines to facilitate fast deployment on physical robots
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to develop novel algorithms and investigate sources of errors with existing implementations
- Pursuing MS or Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Applied Math, or related field
- Experience implementing a variety of RL and IL methods with a focus in a specialization such as computer vision or robotics
- Hands-on experience integrating ML models onto a robotics platform
- Experience implementing and deploying (dexterous) robotic manipulation tasks in simulation and on physical robots
- Experience taking ML R&D and trained models into production
- Experience with computer vision systems
- Experience in simulation-to-reality transfer learning
- Development with Python 3.6 or later
- Working knowledge of PyTorch and/or JAXFamiliarity with ROS2
- Extensive knowledge of RL/IL principles and use
- Experience with Atlassian tools; Jira, Confluence, or equivalent e.g. GitLab
- Above all else, a consistently positive attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes to create robust solutions to complex problems
- Optimistic listening and conflict resolution capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without authority
- Eager to take on new challenges with tenacity and positivity
- Patience, persistence, and attention to detail when resolving performance issues
- Obsession with bringing human-like intelligence to machines
Working at Sanctuary AI
Sanctuary AI is an equal opportunity employer; employment with Sanctuary AI is governed based on skills, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any way by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. In 2023, Sanctuary AI moved into a state-of-the-art office facility and has been recognized by LinkedIn as a Top Startup company.
Full time (non co-op) employees enjoy medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, wellness programs, stock options, paid time off (3 weeks vacation accrued annually, paid statutory holidays, paid statutory sick leave, and statutory parental leave), scheduling and worksite flexibility by role, and more.
About Sanctuary AI
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton, and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary AI is a Vancouver, Canada-based company. Sanctuary AI is on a mission to create the world’s first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots that will help us work more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. And in the not-too-distant future, help us explore, settle, and prosper in outer space.
Members of the Sanctuary AI team founded D-Wave (a pioneer in the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot), and the Creative Destruction Lab (pioneered a revolutionary method for the commercialization of science for the betterment of humankind). The team has experience launching market-defining innovations rooted in previously unsolved and deep scientific problems.
Recruiting & Employment Agency Notice:
Recruitment and hiring is conducted internally by Sanctuary AI. We are not seeking or soliciting any new agency partnerships or agreements at this time. Any employment agency or professional recruiter (“Agency”) that provides an unsolicited resume(s) or otherwise presents a prospective job candidate through the Sanctuary AI career site or directly to any Sanctuary AI employee, irrevocably grants to Sanctuary AI the unrestricted right to engage, hire, or contract with that candidate at Sanctuary AI's sole discretion without any compensation to the Agency. We appreciate your interest in working together, and should the need arise our Talent Acquisition team will contact any external firms directly.